English1on1 is an innovative program that uses internet and telephone communication to connect students anywhere in the world to native English-speaking tutors in America using Skype. Students can easily register for and schedule sessions online. A computer and internet access are required to practice the TOEFL iBT and IELTS sessions. For General Topics sessions, students can use either a computer with internet or just a phone.
The minimum number of sessions that can be registered for is 20, and then additional sessions are taken in sets of 10 (30, 40, 50,…). If the time chosen by the student is not available, English1on1 will suggest an open time which will then need to be confirmed by the student through email. After registration, students will receive a registration number and a confirmation of their sessions' schedule.
General Topics Sessions
Trial Session or First Session
- In the trial session or first session, the tutor will call the student to begin the session using Skype. The student and tutor will then introduce themselves and discuss the English1on1 program. The tutor will answer any questions that the student has.
- The tutor will then evaluate the student’s English proficiency through a series of questions and assign the student a level based on the English1on1 Rubric.
- Before the session ends, the tutor will tell the student how to improve his or her spoken English using our program and then suggest what types of sessions and how many the student should take based on his or her English proficiency and goals.
- Before each session, the student should read the “Preparing for…” file, located below and on the left-hand menu of each session page, for the session type that he or she will take. The preparation file contains instructions on what the student should do and download before his or her session.
- The tutor will contact the student using Skype at the scheduled time for the session.
- During the session, the tutor and student will discuss the topic for General Topic sessions, or practice the test questions for the TOEFL iBT and IELTS sessions.
- Each session with a tutor will last 30 minutes.
- The tutor will give feedback to the student on his or her English performance.
- Students can and should record their sessions for future reference. For an excellent free recording program we recommend Call Graph. You can download it here (right click the link and "save target as"). It can quickly and easily record all of your Skype calls to MP3 files.
- After each session, the student can choose to fill out a tutor evaluation form to send in.
How You Can Have Better Voice Quality During Your Sessions
- Choose a highspeed internet connection, either at home or at work.
- Use the internet in a place where fewer people are using it at the same time.
- Don’t download or upload files once you are online talking with a tutor.
- Restart your computer or close all other programs before your session starts.
- Do the Skype Test Call before you talk with a tutor to test the voice quality.
If the internet voice quality is not good, the tutor will ask you for your phone number to call you to continue the session.